Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Visiting Marin MOCA in Novato

Ooops, it's already August! I should write more on the blog!

Yesterday, I went to Museum of Contemporary Art(MOCA) in Novato, Marin county, with Emi-san to see their altered book show.


It was about one hour drive, north over the Golden Gate bridge, so when we got there, it was already around noon.



I was bit surprised by the museum buildings. These buildings must be old church or monastery. They look beautiful!

We decided to have lunch first at the restaurant next to the museum since both of us had never been to Novato and didn't know the area at all.

It was a good decision! Both foods and atmosphere of the place were great. I had pork burger with grilled peppers and onions. Delicious!


We moved to the museum building and went inside to see the show.




It was a small exhibition, but since it was allowed to touch the altered books on display, we got really excited and enjoyed looking & feeling the details of the art work. We probably spent 2 hours or something!

There was a silent auction was going on, too. They put a sheet of paper next to each book and people were supposed to write down their bids. The most expensive one was already more than $200. I wonder how much it'll be at the end of the show!

Besides the altered book show, there were numbers of artist's studios on the site. Very few artists were there, but their works were on the walls of the hallway and we were able to look inside of the studio through the window on the door. Each studio(even the door or room number plate) had an unique character, so it was still a lot of fun to look around.

After shopping at museum store, we headed for downtown Novato. There was a small scrapbooking store, and I got some new papers that I cannot find in my area.

There was a farmer's market going on, too, so we got some stuff. They even had ponies!




What do you think they are? They are not pound cakes...

Yes, there are soaps!!!!! They look delicious and smell delicious.
The chocolate looking things on the tray were not chocolate either. They are scrubs! They smelled very very real...

It was getting late, so we headed for home after farmer's market.
So much fun!!!! Great summer&art day!!!!


 昨日は、うちから北へ約1時間、ゴールデンゲートブリッジの向こう側にあるNovatoという町の近代美術館のAltered Bookショーを見に、エミーさんと遠出して来ました~
 
 着いたら既に12時ごろだったので、まずランチ。ちょうど美術館の横にレストランがあったので、そこで頂きました。壁には絵が飾られた落ち着いた雰囲気で、味もGood!!平日なのに、ほぼ満席でした~

 おいしいものを食べるとテンションが上がりますよね~ワクワクしながら、美術館の方へ。
 美術館やこの辺り(Art centerって書いてあった、他にもCommunity centerがあった)の建物は、おそらく修道院か何かだったようです。建物について書いてある説明がなかったので、確実ではありませんが。。雰囲気があって、私はとても好きです♪インテリアも、梁に装飾があったりして、綺麗でした。

 お目当てのAltered Book展。50点ほど出品されていて、手袋着用してなら触っても良かったので、じっくり細部まで見て、触って。。。と~~~っても、楽しかった!!
 オークションも同時開催中で(お金は美術館に寄付される)、それぞれの作品の横に紙と鉛筆があり、ビットできる様になっていました。高いものは200ドル以上ついてましたが。。まだ開催期間はかなり残っていますが、どれくらいまで値段が上がるのでしょうね~
 作品の写真は、ブログには載せれなくてごめんなさい。
 
 美術館には、あとたくさんのアーティストスタジオがあって。平日だしほんの数人しか実際に作品製作をしている人はいませんでしたが、廊下などに展示してある作品を見たり、人がいないスタジオを覗くのは、と~~っても楽しかったです。スタジオも、もちろん見られることを前提に物を配置してあるのだと思いますが、それがなんかひとつひとつ格好良いし、個性的。毎月最初の日曜日は、Open Studioをしているそうなので、ぜひまた来たい!と思いました♪
 
 アートを堪能した後は、Novatoのダウンタウンエリアへ。スクラップのお店があるようだったので、覗いてみました。かなり小さいお店でしたが、CoredinationsのビンテージやWhite Washシリーズがあり、私のエリアでは見ないので、買ってきました♪


 ファーマーズマーケットでも、少しお買い物。手作り石鹸のお店には、お菓子のような石鹸が!可愛くて、良いにおいで、いくつか私も買ってしまいました♪おねーさんも小顔で親切だった~

 またドライブして帰宅すると6時半。。エミーさんは、私の家からさらに40分ほどドライブしないといけないので。。。大変だったろうな>< でもすんごく充実した楽しい一日でした!たまには美術館とか博物館って、良いですよね~~また行こうっと!!

2 comments:

  1. 昨日は楽しかったね―。ありがとう!あのsugar scrub、危うくサラが食べそうになりました(^^;;;;
    写真すごくきれいに撮れてるね☆

    ReplyDelete
  2. エミーさん、
    やっぱり!!
    うちも夫が「おいしそう~♪」と手を伸ばしてました(^^;;;色も質感も香りも、そのままフレーバードチョコって感じですもんね~~
    私は、コーヒーの香りラブなので、しばらくキッチンに置いておくつもりです♪

    ReplyDelete